Re: [technology-pmc] Subject: ESE 2010: 1701 - Introduction to Sapphire has been declined

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I understand--at least to some degree--the pressures that you managed to balance quite well.

Konstantin, you should still consider proposing a poster. Talks are one way to get your message across, but they are not the only means of developing community :-)

Wayne

Kolb, Bernd wrote:
Wayne, Konstantin,

I tried to answer your questions at a blog post I’ve written which you’ve seen I guess.

It is not that only long talks are short in supply, slots in general are very limited. I can understand that new projects proposals need some attention, however with the space available we cannot even cover all new projects and the existing projects in depth.

With the time and the resources available it is simply not feasible to have a detailed description for each and every talk why that specific one was or wasn’t selected. In the end the PC has to make a decision on the information available (abstract, project status, …) as well as some feeling how well accepted a talk will be by the attendees. The first part is easy (as it is based on facts) whereas the second part is pretty though and obviously reflects the opinions of the people involved.

I think in that special case it is just too early (project is still in pre-project phase) to justify a short or even a long talk (given that we are very limited on those anyway…)

Bernd

> I'm not sure what to say. Long talk slots are in short supply. The PC
> has to balance the opposing forces of providing "known winner" talk
> topics that attract the crowds with talks about great new technology
> that people need to learn about. It's not an easy job.
>
> I was not involved with the programme committee this year, so I don't
> know why your talk was not selected. I am a little disappointed that
> there are no comments on the proposal to give any indication of why it
> was not selected.
>
> I'll see what I can do to influence the EclipseCon and ESE 2011 PCs to
> give some priority to short talks about new projects.
>
> Wayne
>
> > Konstantin Komissarchik wrote:
> > Not to sound like sour grapes and all, but we have a problem when new
> > projects are not able to get space at the conference to drive community
> > awareness, etc. Is the conference not allocating sufficient time for general
> > content?
> >
> > - Konstantin

Bernd Kolb
Development Architect
TD Core JS&I DI (AG)
SAP AG
Dietmar-Hopp-Allee 16
69190 Walldorf, Germany
T +49 6227 7-42043
F +49 6227 78-52321
M +49 160 90823271
E bernd.kolb@xxxxxxx
www.sap.com

Pflichtangaben/Mandatory Disclosure Statements: http://www.sap.com/company/legal/impressum.epx

Diese E-Mail kann Betriebs- oder Geschäftsgeheimnisse oder sonstige vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, ist Ihnen eine Kenntnisnahme des Inhalts, eine Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe der E-Mail ausdrücklich untersagt. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie uns und vernichten Sie die empfangene E-Mail. Vielen Dank.

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed, or otherwise confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying, or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal. Thank you for your cooperation.