From: technology-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:technology-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike Milinkovich
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 1:22 PM
To: 'Technology PMC'; 'Gunnar Wagenknecht'
Cc: license@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [technology-pmc] Namespace for Sapphire

Konstantin,

Even if Sapphire is not a registered trademark, if it has been used as a
name, it is a trade mark. (You've probably noticed over the years that some
people use (tm) and some use (r). That's why.)

As part of transferring the project to Eclipse, Oracle will have to sign our
standard trademark assignment agreement. From that moment on, any common law
trademark rights in the "Sapphire" name will belong to the Eclipse
Foundation, not Oracle.

The trademark review for a new project happens after the proposal has been
made public, but before the Creation Review. You don't have to request
it...it's all part of the awesome service delivered by the staff of the
Eclipse Foundation ;-) I've checked with the team and they will be running
Sapphire through said process shortly.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Mike Milinkovich
Office: +1.613.224.9461 x228
Mobile: +1.613.220.3223
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx