Re: [technology-pmc] Nexus project

Title: New Page 1

As such, I am comparing the cost for a committer on an existing project to add a new plugin to that project vs. creating a new Eclipse project to hold that plugin (because it’s functionality that would be useful to others). In both of those cases, the running overhead is the same. It’s the startup overhead that discourages this kind of code sharing from taking place.

Yes, you're correct that creating a new project to hold a new plug-in is more work than adding committers to an existing plug-in. I don't really know what to say about that other than "talk to the committer reps about changing the dev process": the dev process is what it is and it's the way it is mostly because the Board wants it that way.

Regarding constraining projects, I cannot even begin to comprehend why this would be a benefit to the community.

Well there's an obvious benefit to the community in that the Legal and Webmaster teams have only N people and they can only support M projects. Having >>M projects will cause everyone to suffer from delays... But that's sort of a minor point... The larger point is, again, the Board said they wanted it that way.

But, anyway, I'd still like to work on making the starting of new projects earlier.

- Bjorn

--

[end of message]

Back to the top