RE: [technology-pmc] Nexus project

Title: New Page 1

I agree. But I claim that neither Nexus nor the Technology PMC nor any other proposal is going to reduce the inherent overhead in running a project, Eclipse project or other project. So in that sense it does matter how one categorizes the overhead. E.g., the overhead of using source control is inherent: there's nothing that Nexus can do to reduce the cost of check-ins.

I sense that I am not communicating effectively on this. Let me try to explain. I am not trying to address the inherent overhead in doing software development in team environment or even for that matter overhead that’s unique to Eclipse (such as IP process). My primary concern is with startup overhead. Remember that my core goal with all of this is to make it easier for projects to collaborate on shared code. As such, I am comparing the cost for a committer on an existing project to add a new plugin to that project vs. creating a new Eclipse project to hold that plugin (because it’s functionality that would be useful to others). In both of those cases, the running overhead is the same. It’s the startup overhead that discourages this kind of code sharing from taking place.

I disagree. Larger projects (such as E4) clearly have a much larger startup overhead than tiny projects.

Could you elaborate? Why would a project such as E4 have much larger startup overhead than a tiny project? As far as I can tell, all of the startup tasks are largely the same regardless of project size. A build system that builds two dozen plugins is not all that different from one that builds two plugins. There might be marginally more overhead for a large project, but it certainly doesn’t scale with project size.

I think that it would be mistake to say "if nobody in the larger Architecture Council wants to be a Mentor, then we're going to require that the smaller Technology PMC take on that role". (a) The PMC already has a role to play in each project it sponsors and (b) the reason the community added the "need two Mentors from the AC" was to constrain new projects to be only those things that the broader community (as represented by the AC) is interested in.

You know, I never understood the desire for having mentors in the first place. Perhaps back when you could create a top-level project from scratch it made a certain amount of sense. At this point, I would argue that it is the job of the PMC of the project that accepts a project proposal to mentor the project. This is especially true for the Technology Project which has incubation as the primary goal.

Regarding constraining projects, I cannot even begin to comprehend why this would be a benefit to the community. The last thing we want to do is to turn Eclipse into a private club where only people who think in the same way are admitted. Just because no one on the Architecture Council is interested in a particular project proposal (or has any time left for mentoring) does not imply that the project proposal is not viable. As long as we are good about shutting down failed projects, I do not believe we should be putting in place artificial barriers to admission.

My claim is that project success *includes* finding a location for the project. Thus a project that cannot find a home is not successful. I realize that's sort of a circular argument, but my point is that Eclipse is more than just a CVS repository: one key goal for Eclipse is that there are communities around each project. If a project cannot find a community then it should go somewhere else.

I agree that every successful project requires an active community, but community and finding an appropriate location is not the same thing. Let’s take a real example to ground this discussion. As I mentioned in one of my other e-mails, there is talks in progress for WTP and DTP to collaborate on two separate pieces of shared infrastructure. These projects can incubate at the Technology Project, but then what? These projects would be consumed by two large projects at Eclipse and backed by very large communities, yet it is not obvious where these projects can live after graduation.

Back to the top