[tcf-dev] Support for additional file format

Hi All,

We would need a TCF agent that supports several file formats. In our case, we would like to build an agent running on Windows that would support both ELF and PE (Portable Executable) file formats for the same debug session (ideally we would like to be able to mix PE & ELF for the same context or at least to be able to have a different file format for each context).

There is currently some code in the TCF agent to support PE using the Microsoft Debug Help Library for Windows native debugging support; however it is not possible to use this support with different TCF context interface (JTAG for example) without duplication some code and it is not possible to have support for both PE & ELF in the same agent.

We would like to update the TCF agent code (symbols & line numbers services as far as I know) to support multiple file formats by adding a multiplexer on top of symbols and line number services. I suspect there are additional changes that will be required to handle transitions between ELF & PE format in the same stack frame if we want to support this.

Does this make sense, do you foresee any issue?

Thanks,
Didier

Back to the top