[swordfish-dev] Announcement: Developer chat switches to IRC as of the next Sprint

Hi *@swordfish-dev,

as most of you probably know we¹ve been doing our daily developer chats on a
Skype public chat group for the last few months which proved to be quite
useful for synchronizing our efforts accross multiple locations and making
our progress transparent to the community.

>From the next spring on, i.e. starting on March 9th,  we¹ll open a new
chapter and switch to IRC. There are a number of good reasons for this:

1. Open standard: IRC is based on an internet standard protocol, Skype is
not.
2. Automation: IRC can be easily automated using bots, e.g. for
automatically sending out the daily logs.
3. Platform independence: IRC clients are available for virtually any
platform, Skype clients aren¹t.
4. General acceptance: IRC is generally the more popular choice for open
source projects.

For everyone who¹s already on IRC it¹s easy: Just point your IRC client to
irc.freenode.net:6667 and join the channel #eclipse-swordfish-dev.

For everyone who hasn¹t used IRC before, here¹s what to do:

1. Grab a decent IRC client of your choice. For Mac, I recommend Colloquy,
but your mileage may vary.

2. Connect to irc.freenode.net, port 6667, and choose a Nickname of your
liking. If the one you¹ve chosen is already taken, choose something else.

3. Once you¹re connected, register your chosen Nickname with the Nickserver.
In order to do so, issue the following command:
/msg NickServ register <password> <your@email.address>

4. Check your email inbox for an registration email and follow the
instructions given herein.

5. Now you can join the channel by typing
/join #eclipse-swordfish-dev

Looking forward to seeing you all on IRC soon!

Cheers,
Oliver

--

Oliver Wolf