Re: [stp-pmc] BPEL and STP con call

Thank you for the reminder, Mike, I've been remiss in not getting this out earlier. Let me know if I've either missed anything out, or put in something
that is incorrect.

Attendees:

 Antony Miguel
 Alex Boisvert
 Hugues Malphettes
 Simon Moser
 Michal Chmielewski
 Oisin Hurley
 Carl Trieloff

The intent of this call was to introduce the attendees and to have
a discussion around the role of BPEL in STP and the possibilities for
cooperation between STP and the BPEL Technology project.

Some history was recalled about initial interactions with Kevin McGuire
regarding the BPEL technology project and STP in the past.

Oisin stated that BPEL is very important for developers of SOA applications and that having a full BPEL build/deploy/debug tool available in open source and under an Eclipse license would be very valuable to organizations that
use BPEL as part of their solutions.

Simon and Michal gave an update on the status of the BPEL Technology
project and elaborated on future plans.

There was a general consensus that SOA Tools would be an appropriate place from
where such a tool could be delivered.

Two possible courses of action were discussed.

 1. Integration of the output of the BPEL technology project with STP
- i.e. a developer could download the BPEL editor plugins and effectively drop them into a workbench that already hosted STP and they would 'work
    together'.

2. The BPEL technology project could move from its current location and go to STP, so that a fully integrated BPEL offering could be constructed

2) above had the most discussion. There was a concern from Simon and
Michal that moving the BPEL editor project to STP would involve a level of subsumption that might be unacceptable to the project's community and sponsors. Alex Boisvert echoed this concern with respect to the BPMN project, stating that the projects are useful enough in their own right, and that requiring users to download all of STP just to use a BPMN editor
was not a good idea.

No decisions were made on this call - the issue about subproject subsumption and visibility is to be discussed on the PMC list, but this thread hasn't
started as of yet.

 best regards
  Oisin

Back to the top