[stp-dev] AW: eBPM Proposal

Hi Andrea,

first of all: a happy new year! Thanks for sharing your project proposal eBPM with us. Besides the comments that were exchanged on the mailing list until now, I have some more thoughts about your proposal:

As you're probably aware, in the Eclipse ecosystem there is the Java Workflow Tooling (JWT) project. Currently, this is a Technology sub-project but we are planning to move to the upcoming Eclipse SOA TLP soon. The JWT project is currently in version 0.7 and will graduate from incubation probably together with Helios in June 2010.

The idea of the JWT project is to support workflow and business process tooling in different areas: modeling, extending existing models with e.g. execution-specific data, transformations, administration, monitoring and execution.

We already built a set of plugins to support the users in their daily tasks and currently several programs are integrating the plugins of JWT.

When looking at your project proposal, I essentially see the same ideas: process modeling (via BPMN), extensions of the editor, transformations (via Mangrove, or the STP-IM as it is still called), plugins for deployment, monitoring and management of processes.

Of course, there are also slightly differences between the projects: you are building on BPEL-processes and Apache ODE, on Swordfish, the BPMN and BPEL-editor. But on the other side, we both want to leverage the Eclipse ecosystem, be vendor-neutral and show modularity.

Your main focus seems to be on the OSGi technology for SOA, and we don't see a problem here at all, but currently have another focus.

Competition is always good to improve the current work. However, since there is a lot of competition outside Eclipse, I would rather prefer to see one project focusing workflows and business processes inside Eclipse (maybe with different facets) than two different projects that are competing with each other and where the end-user won't see which one to choose from.

Therefore, I would love to hear your opinion about JWT and whether you would see a possibility to integrate your development into JWT. Either in existing components or in future components. Creating new components is definitely easier than creating and maintaining your own project...

We are definitely open to collaboration here! I discussed this in the last weeks with the other project co-lead and leading committers of JWT, and we agree that having support for some of the components of JWT that we did not have resources for yet, would be great! You would still be able to work on your ideas and components! We could work on the website, the build process, etc. as we are currently already doing. We could even have several builds where the user can choose from, one with your set of plugins and one with ours.

I think both project communities would benefit from working with each other. You already have experience and I guess a lot of development in this area and would like to share this in the Eclipse ecosystem (which is great!).

Our community, too, has experience in BPM, SOA and workflows and our code is already publicly available on Eclipse. We are already aware of all the Eclipse-ish things that need to be done (to become committer, have a release review, have an own build, etc.). We could both learn from each other, share new ideas and help to improve each other's work.

I hope that you also see the similarities in our mindset. Just let me know, what your opinion is about the proposed collaboration.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you in due course again. Thanks and best regards,

Florian