[stem-dev] Notes from today's STEM community call

STEM Community Call October 20, 2011

On call: Jamie, Kassaye, Matthias, Matt, Stefan, Kun, Judy

INTRODUCTIONS

New to call: Kassaye Yitbarek Yigzaw; in Norway, working on project as part of a master’s in telemedicine; developing a web service to predict and map diseases in northern Norway; using Bayesian stat package, receive public health data daily; data is geo-coded; will discuss project, possible map(s) in call with Jamie

RELEASE PLANNING
Reminder: Will release STEM 1.2.3 on Nov 21 (RC1 Nov 1); need to delete old property files. Target date for 1.3 is still (1/07/2012)
* Ten years of Earth Science Data (2000-2010) available as STEM ''Features''
* Malaria Disease Model (''Anopheles'' calibrated)
* Dengue Fever Disease Model (''Aedes'' not yet calibrated)
* Additional NLS + User ability to switch languages
* Logger Framework with new loggers
   ====Release new loggers for 1.2.3
   ====Delete old loggers and views for 1.3
* Shape File Import Utility (Dependency on Open Map CQ)
* Integrating external models for study of food based transmission
* New Differential Equation solver(s) from commons.math library
* Bug Fixes from 1.2.2
*** Need presentation slides for 1.3
DEVELOPERS: LOTS OF NEW CHANGES

Please see Matt's note to STEM DEV and do an update; Matthias will remind his team
NEW DOC FOR 1.3
*  Dengue (NEED)
*  Initializers
*  Loggers (NEW; per Matt, are more configurable, can select; checked in but not yet published; will do next week)
*  Malaria (done)
*  Mosquitoes VCAP (done)

Population Rescaler (NEED, SEE BELOW)
*  Shape file importer (NEW)
*  Solvers
BUG OF THE WEEK: bug 314785 Decorator Validation
Is related to earlier bug; Jamie will identify as such and close
ITEMS FOR NEWSGROUP

None this week

To do: ALL—Identify and post!
UPDATE ON DENGUE MODEL STATUS
Kun attended conference at Stanford, presented poster; made one contact, will discuss with Jamie

Jamie: IBM has been contacted by CDC, will meet in next few weeks
NEW MALARIA MAPPING ALGORITHM
Moving forward, will input into paper
Data from N. Waraporn with both Dengue and Malaria data from Thailand.....
IDEAS FOR FUTURE STEM DEMOS
>FD vs Integration
>Data Import example (playback)
>Data input example (initialize from csv)
>Data logging image and data examples
>Dengue Fever example(s)
> what else?
>>> Can we do a YouTube on each one ? Stefan, what did you use to do the screen captures?
>>> Need to plan code freeze November 1st so we have 1 month to build and test scenarios for workshop
DISCUSSION ITEMS AND RESOLUTION
i) Approved by vote last week, new error handling will prompt the user to initialize a population model when creating one of the multiple disease models available in STEM. (STEM will no longer automatically generate an instance of a StandardPopulationModel.)
ii) Passed without objection: a new Population Re-Scaler Object will be created to reset population by calendar. (STEM will no longer automatically adjust the population numbers to correspond to the starting date of the sequencer as it does now for the human population.) This will give STEM greater transparency and will work with any type of population model. It will eliminate the nesting requirement but will not alter STEM’s design philosophy. This will be added as part of 1.3.0.
ITEMS FROM PARTICIPANTS

Matthias: Talked with scientist from Sweden interested in mosquito model; Jamie and Stefan offered to present via videoconference; will iron out details with Matthias, his contact; more internationalization for STEM

Back to the top