[stem-dev] Re: Air transport for world checked in

Hi Stefan,

Can you send me the codes or IDs for the locations with no centers? I can easily fix it.

We had code to do this manually but I though Yossi  automatically computes the centers if they do not exist.
Yossi, is this correct? If not I can easily generate the missing centers.
Best Regards,
Jamie

IBM Almaden Research Center, 650 Harry Rd.
San Jose, CA 95120-6099
email: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
phone: (408) 927-2477  (tie 457-2477)

Stefan Edlund/Almaden/IBM

05/28/2009 04:14 PM

stem-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, James Kaufman/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS
cc
Subject
Air transport for world checked in

You need to run the ant script update.xml under org.eclipse.ohf.stem.internal.data.geography.infrastructure.transportation to build the models.

The air transportation edges won't show up on the map when you select from the drop down. I narrowed down the problem to the XXX_centers.properties files under org.eclipse.ohf.stem.data.geography/org.eclipse.ohf.stem.data.geography.centers.  Some files are missing the center for level 0. For instance, I built a model for scandinavia and none of denmark, sweden, norway or finland had the level 0 center. It's required to draw the air transport edges. Jamie, I think you generate these files, is it an easy fix?

Here is the the (now patched) file where I got the original data from:

There's a utility that reads this file and generates the .properties file used by the ant script.

Finally, some assumptions we might need to look into:

Assume level 2 is county, level 1 is state and level 0 is country

If we have admin level 2 data for a region in the file above, these are the rules:
  •         There's a 0 % chance that a flight departs and lands in the same county
  •         There's a 5 % chance that a flight departs one county and lands in another county within the same state (intra-state)
  •         There's a 50 % chance that a flight departs a county and lands in a different country (international)

If we only have admin level 1 data for a region in the file above, these are the rules:
  •         There's a 0 % chance that a flight departs and lands in the same state (intra-state)
  •         There's a 2 % chance that a flight departs one state and lands in a differerent state in the same country (inter-state)

If we only have admin 0 data for a region above, the rule is:
  •         There's a 0 % chance that a flight departs and lands in the same country

The motivation being if we have less data (fewer airports) it's likely it's a small country and most flights are international.
Thanks,
/ Stefan

Stefan Edlund
Public Health and Computer Science Research
IBM Almaden Research Center
(408) 927-1766   edlund@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx