[stem-dev] Another fix to air transport

Hi all,

I just checked in another fix to air transportation that fixed an issue when running an integrating solution simulation. Please get latest and run update.xml on ...internal.data.geography.infrastructure.transportation.

Here's how air transportation is implemented. Justin, let me know if this is how you originally envisioned this since you wrote the first implementation.

Under resource/data/relationship/airtransport2006/ in the internal.data.geography.infrastructure.transportation project you'll find the .properties files that defines the air traffic flow. For instance, in USA_1_USA_2.properties you'll find one row for counties in the US with air transportation infrastructure. For instance,
this line:

# US-CA-06081 = San Mateo County
63 = US-CA, US-CA-06081, 22242, 22242, 707161

This means that from San Mateo county there are 22242 arrivals and departures each day (the time period is defined by TIME_RATE_PERIOD at the top of the file). Arrivals and departures are always the same. 707161 is the population in San Mateo.

In the implementation, for each simulation cycle, we take 22242 people from the San Mateo region and move them up to a Pipe Transporation System node for California. We also take 22242 people from the California Pipe transportation system and move them down to the San Mateo region. People are picked evenly no matter what disease state a person is in, so you're not less likely to travel if you're infected. The population of the California Pipe Transportation System node is the sum of all arrivals from each California county.

Above the California Pipe Transportation System Node is the US Pipe Transportation System Node (and above that eventually the World Pipe Transport System Node). This node is defined in the USA_0_USA_1.properties file. The arrivals/departures in this file defines how many people to take from each state pipe transportation system node and move up and down between the US Pipe Transportation Node each cycle. Observe that in cases where we're building a scenario using only US states (no counties), people are moved up and down from the state region nodes instead of the state pipe transportation system nodes. Hence, the graph that we build contains 2 edges from a pipe transportation node, one to a region and another to the lower level pipe transportation system node. It is possible that a model will end up with dangling edges when a lower level air transportation graph is not available. Those edges are removed automatically and I fix the code to avoid reporting unresolved edges for such edges since it will confuse the end-user.

The population of all Pipe Transporation System nodes are initialized before a simulation begins.

Disclaimer: Right now the rates in USA_0_USA_1.properties are probably not correct, we need to revisit this. The idea is that this file can be generated from the USA_1_USA_2.properties file calculating the probability that a trip is "inter-state" versus "intra-state".

Regards,
/ Stefan

Stefan Edlund
Public Health and Computer Science Research
IBM Almaden Research Center
(408) 927-1766 edlund@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

----- Forwarded by Stefan Edlund/Almaden/IBM on 04/09/2009 06:10 AM -----

          Stefan Edlund/Almaden/IBM

          04/03/2009 11:19 AM

Daniel Ford/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS

cc

James Kaufman/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS, stem-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, Yossi Mesika/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL

Subject

Re: Air transport now worksMail
Thanks.

Another fix in this morning so please get the latest and run the ant script again. I forgot to correct for the rate time period of the air transport pipe. For instance, if a pipe shuffles 1000 people up and down every day, if a simulation cycle is only 6 hours we now correctly shuffle only 250 people per cycle.

Regards,
/ Stefan

Stefan Edlund
Public Health and Computer Science Research
IBM Almaden Research Center
(408) 927-1766 edlund@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Inactive hide details for Daniel Ford---04/03/2009 07:59:42 AM---Excellent, I cc'd stem-dev. DanDaniel Ford---04/03/2009 07:59:42 AM---Excellent, I cc'd stem-dev. Dan

          Daniel Ford/Almaden/IBM

          04/03/2009 07:59 AM

Stefan Edlund/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS

cc

James Kaufman/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS, Yossi Mesika/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL, stem-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

Subject

Re: Air transport now worksMail
Excellent, I cc'd stem-dev.

Dan

Inactive hide details for Stefan Edlund---04/02/2009 08:38:14 PM---Hi, air transportation should work now if you get the latestStefan Edlund---04/02/2009 08:38:14 PM---Hi, air transportation should work now if you get the latest and run the update.xml ant script (should only be necessary to do

          Stefan Edlund/Almaden/IBM

          04/02/2009 08:36 PM

Yossi Mesika/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL

cc

James Kaufman/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS, Daniel Ford/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS

Subject

Air transport now works
Hi,

air transportation should work now if you get the latest and run the update.xml ant script (should only be necessary to do the infrastructure.transportation one). You can test by defining a US scenario (state only or down to counties level 2) and dragging the air transporation graph(s) into the model. If you define a disease where the road and common border infectious factor is 0 you should still see the disease spread from region to region via air travel.

Yossi, can you do a new build and put up on the site (if you got time maybe make sure everything works first)?

Thanks!
/ Stefan

Stefan Edlund
Public Health and Computer Science Research
IBM Almaden Research Center
(408) 927-1766 edlund@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

GIF image

GIF image