Re: [stellation-res] String Internationalization

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rodolfo M.Raya" <rmraya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <stellation-res@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 8:24 AM
Subject: RE: [stellation-res] String Internationalization

XML

> > Your point is well taken. I need that kind of input since I have had no
> > practical experience with internationalization.
>
> I'm new in this field too, just a couple of months of experience don't
make me an expert.

That makes you an expert :-)

> > Right now I am working through the Java Editor source code trying to
define
> > how each of the capabilities that I identified can be implemented. The
most
> > difficult problem area seems to be the ability to translate between
> > internal and external formats whenever a file is saved or synchronized.
> > need this to allow strings to be directly displayed while editing the
source
> > code and yet store the source code with the calls to access the strings
from
> > some form of resource bundle. I may have to convince the Eclipse folks
> > provide new extension points at the point when files are loaded into the
> > editor and saved from the editor. nearly everything else I want to do
seems
> > reasonably straightforward.
>
> May I suggest that you store strings in an XML file?. Maybe using
something like:

> <resource id="filemenu">
>   <string xml:lang="en-us">File</string>
>   <string xml:lang="es">Archivos</string>
>   <string xml:lang="fr">Fichier</string>
> </resource>
>
> This can help in the future with the localization process.
>
> Regards,
> Rodolfo
>
> --
I am reluctant to use XML for the internal persistent storage because of
performance issues. Management of localized strings has been identified by
the Eclipse team as a performance problem area so I was planning to use an
optimized internal persistent layout. I think that the import/export
facilities should be capable of putting the internal storage into XML
format. In fact I would make this an extension point so that different XML
layouts could be generated to meet the needs of different tools.

Regards

Jonathan

Personal Email
jgossage@xxxxxxxx