RE: [stellation-res] Stellation support for MySQL on Linux

On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 17:49, Jonathan Gossage wrote:
> [...]

No. It's worse than that. If we write *anything* which specifically uses
something licensed under the GPL, then
we fall under the GPL. So any code that we write that
specifically works with the GPLed MySQL JDBC driver is
automatically GPL, and anything which calls that, and so
on.

LGPL allows certain kinds of linking without automatically
becoming GPL. Our lawyers have agreed that it's OK for
us to use LGPLed JDBC components. Full GPL is another matter. If the
MySQL database component is written to use the GPL JDBC driver, then
it's got to be GPL. And then the generic AbstractDatabase class needs to
be GPL, because it connects to the MySQL database component. And then
the whole core needs to be GPL, because it uses the AbstractDatabase
class.

That's the way GPL works. So if the JDBC MySQL driver becomes
GPL, then we're stuck: we can't support it.  (I can check with our
lawyers to see what the dual-license nature of
MySQL means... but I strongly suspect that the answer will
be "no".)

	-Mark