Re: [stellation-res] Postgres binary project (How to make a binary project)

At 08:14 PM 10/16/2002, Mark C. Chu-Carroll wrote:
On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 20:02, Jonathan Gossage wrote:
> I see that you have made the Postgres JDBC driver into a binary project. I
> tried to do this on my machine and failed. Could someone please explain how
> this was done, specifically exactly what directory/files were considered to
> be the binary project.
<snip>
Jim,
can you look at the postgres binary project, and
explain how it was set up?

The procedure is pretty straightforward.

All plugins must be installed under the 'plugins' folder
in your Eclipse installation.  On my Linux box, I keep
Eclipse in /opt/eclipse, so:
PLUGIN_ROOT = /opt/eclipse/plugins

A. Basic steps:

* Create a folder under PLUGIN_ROOT, using the name of the
  plugin.  (e.g. org.jdom, org.apache.oro)

* Populate the new folder with:
  - the actual 3rd party jar (e.g. log4j-1.2.5,jar)
  - a slightly-customized plugin.xml file
  - a slightly-customized plugin.properties file.
  - an about.html and/or LICENSE file containg the
    distribution license for the plugin.

* Restart Eclipse, and it should find and load the new plugins.

B. Customizing the plugin.xml and plugin.properties files

Rather than a step by step recitation, I'm just going to append the actual
content for the four 3rd-party-jar plugins currently used by Stellation,
excluding the LICENSE files (which are provided with the 3rd party jars).

(For the actual jars, you'll need to get them from the sources mentioned in
the Installation doc (Guide to Installing and Building Stellation, on our
website). We're still hoping to get permission to post the jars on
eclipse.org, but it hasn't happened yet...)

Note: plugin.properties supplies two values referenced in plugin.xml.
You could inline the values directly, but this is the Eclipse convention,
and it's upward-compatible with the installable Eclipse 'Feature'
mechanism, which we plan to use when necessary permissions
are granted.

- Jim

================== Files for org.apache.log4j =============

Plugin / folder name: org.apache.log4j

------------------------------ plugin.xml ------------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<plugin
   id="org.apache.log4j"
   name="%pluginName"
   version="1.2.5"
   provider-name="%providerName"
   class="">

   <requires>
      <import plugin="org.apache.xerces"/>
   </requires>

   <runtime>
      <library name="log4j-1.2.5.jar">
         <export name="*"/>
      </library>
   </runtime>

</plugin>
------------------------------ end: plugin.xml ------------------------------------

------------------------------ plugin.properties ------------------------------------
pluginName=Log4J
providerName=The Apache Group
------------------------------ end: plugin.properties ------------------------------------

================== Files for org.apache.oro =============

Plugin / folder name: org.apache.oro

------------------------------ plugin.xml ------------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<plugin
   id="org.apache.oro"
   name="%pluginName"
   version="2.0.6"
   provider-name="%providerName"
   class="">

   <runtime>
      <library name="jakarta-oro-2.0.6.jar">
         <export name="*"/>
      </library>
   </runtime>

</plugin>
------------------------------ end: plugin.xml ------------------------------------

------------------------------ plugin.properties ------------------------------------
pluginName=Jakarta ORO
providerName=The Apache Group
------------------------------ end: plugin.properties ------------------------------------

================== Files for org.jdom =============

Plugin / folder name: org.jdom

------------------------------ plugin.xml ------------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<plugin
   id="org.jdom"
   name="%pluginName"
   version="0.0.8"
   provider-name="%providerName"
   class="">

   <requires>
      <import plugin="org.apache.xerces"/>
   </requires>

   <runtime>
      <library name="jdom.jar">
         <export name="*"/>
      </library>
   </runtime>

</plugin>
------------------------------ end: plugin.xml ------------------------------------

------------------------------ plugin.properties ------------------------------------
pluginName=JDOM
providerName=JDOM.org
------------------------------ end: plugin.properties ------------------------------------

================== Files for org.postgresql =============

Plugin / folder name: org.postgresql

------------------------------ plugin.xml ------------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<plugin
   id="org.postgresql"
   name="%pluginName"
   version="7.2.1"
   provider-name="%providerName"
   class="">

   <runtime>
      <library name="jdbc7.2dev-1.2.jar">
         <export name="*"/>
      </library>
   </runtime>
   <requires>
      <import plugin="org.apache.xerces"/>
      <import plugin="org.apache.oro"/>
      <import plugin="org.jdom"/>
      <import plugin="org.apache.log4j"/>
   </requires>
</plugin>

pluginName=PostgreSQL
providerName=PostgreSQL Global Development Group

Jim Wright, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
*** The Stellation project: Advanced SCM for Collaboration
*** http://www.eclipse.org/stellation
*** Work Email: jwright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ------- Personal Email: jim.wright@xxxxxxx

Back to the top