[stellation-res] Secure Hash Algorith (SHA) conflict - "Don't worry about it"

I ran into one of the senior managers of the Security, Privacy and Cryptography
group here at Research yesterday, and asked him if anyone had yet found two
disctinct files with the same message digest (we call it "signature") value.
He replied, "No, but it has been found for MD5". I started to relate Mark's
story about hearing in a talk that the probability of SHA failure was less than
that of background cosmic radiation causing a memory failure in a computer, but
he just said "Don't worry about it". And I won't.

dave

--
Dave Shields, IBM Research, shields@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Back to the top