Re: [spaces-dev] space source publishing question

Hi Henrik,
We could do it that way. Question is, is that really what we want?

Consider the following scenarios:

A user creates a plug-in and he checks it in to SVN. He then continues to work on it. At some point, he decides to publish what he has. Once it's published, he decides to commit again. It's not until after this commit that the binary publication is in sync with the source.

Next scenario. Something is published. User Bertil imports the source into his workspace. Bertil (since he uses the source) is of course running self-hosted. He asks the publisher to fix a problem. The publisher does just that and he checks in a new version into SVN. He doesn't publish it yet though, since he wants Bertil to verify that the problem is gone. Bertils workspace is fixed on a revision (because the Spaces publishing did that for him) so he won't receive the update.

Some thoughts:
Unless we require that everything is checked in at the time of publishing, we can never guarantee that the source in sync with the binary. Is it an error not to check in? Or should a warning be issued?

If everything indeed *is* checked in, and if we use SVN, then the update site features could have a qualifier that reflects the SVN revision (requires that the plug-in author uses versions that ends with ".qualifier". Using that, any user can then verify that what he has in the workspace conforms to some binary that he uses (most likely in some other set-up). If the user wants a particular revision of a particular bundle from the SVN, he can always revert to that revision in his workspace.

If CVS is used, then we can use timestamps as the qualifier.

This approach requires some additional work on the publisher (a minor effort). It also implies additional "ways of doing things" that might or might not appeal to the user.

The usual way to guarantee source stability is to use tags and perhaps we should consider that. It introduces a new level of complexity that we haven't really considered yet though. What will Spaces provide in order to simplify the builds? Do we correlate version qualifiers with tags? Or the version as a whole? What different build scenarios do we want to support or impose?

- thomas

Henrik Lindberg wrote:
Hi,
I wonder how the reference to source is made when publishing. Do we use the change/revision number? Or will users that use Import > Space always get the latest? I think we want the source that is materialized to be in sync with what was published, and I want to make sure that is how it is done. Thomas? - henrik