Re: [spaces-dev] Managing publications

Henrik Lindberg wrote:
Hi,

- I think the PublishingArea should be responsible for how the data in a
publishing area can be changed (i.e. it knows about the structure inside
this area and any semantics).

- The Publishing operations that writes data into the area must naturally
abide to the area rules.

Yes. That sounds OK to me. But I want to add that the PublishingArea also has the responsibility for how the data is viewed.

- It would be quite easy to show the EFS file tree for a publishing area in
a treeview and let the user do whatever she wants with the files - e.g.
delete them.

I want to avoid this at length. The user must also abide to the area rules :-)

- The actions on files in a PublishingArea could be delegated to the
PublishingArea to handle. The publishing area could also provide
canDelete(IFileStore) (or similar) operations to guide the user interface.
I want a view that will show plug-ins with name and version information. No folders at this time (might come in the future when we elaborate and use groups, categories, etc.). It should be possible to delete from this view.

- The PublishingArea could also provide some more advanced mechanism to
allow other types of actions like "remove all plugins and features that are
not the latest" - these would be implemented as methods on the
PublishingArea, and supported via Dialogs or Wizards (as needed if they
require more complex user interaction).

- Finally - how are these operations invoked by the user? Well, since the
resources may not be present in the workspace, the only option that I see is
to use the SpacesView, drill down into the space, drill down to the
publishing area, continue drill down to files if the PublishingArea is
"transparent", and invoke the operation from a context menu on a file. (Sort
of like the action "SVN add remove folder" in the repo view). Alternative if
area is opaque, invoke action from context menu over Area node in the
SpacesView tree.

Howzabout something like that?

I think we are on the same page. Especially since you write the magic words 'if the PublishingArea is "transparent"'. I take it you then foresee non-transparent areas that redefine what's viewed just like what I'm after here.

- thomas

Back to the top