[soc-dev] The Eclipse Foundation has been accepted as a mentoring organization

Good news! We've been accepted.

Students

Please take the time to familiarize yourself with how this works. You need to prepare yourself to write a description of a specific bit of development work that you'll accomplish over the summer. Your application period opens on March 12. The full time line is specified here. Our ideas page is here. There are more thoughts regarding project ideas here.

Mentors:

It's time for mentors to step up. Mentors need to be prepared to do two things. The first and most obvious thing is to actually mentor students as they work through their projects. Before that can happen, though, we need to you to help us review the student proposals and select those proposals that the organization will accept.

To be a mentor, you must be an Eclipse Committer. We may also accept community members recommended by Eclipse Committers (if you're planning to vouch for a non-committer, expect me to ask why they're not already a committer).

If you do want to be a mentor, I need to invite you. For that, I need your preferred Google account email. While this mailing list has a public archive that obscures email addresses, I'd still feel more comfortable with you providing your personal information by direct email.

So... if you want to sign up, please send a note to emo@xxxxxxxxxxx with:

1) Your name
2) Your Google Account email address
3) The name of the project(s) for which you are a committer

Note that signing up as a mentor does not guarantee that you will get a mentoring assignment. Nor is there any requirement for you to actually volunteer to mentor a student project in the event that you do not find one that aligns with your goals for participating.

If you have not already provided some project ideas on the ideas page, please do so at your earliest convenience. Doing so will increase the probability of getting a mentoring assignment that aligns with your goals.

Wayne

--
Wayne Beaton
Director of Open Source Projects