Re: [soc-dev] Google Summer of Code 2013 Ideas

It's a wiki. Any registered user can make changes.

FWIW, you don't have to add your name under the project. There's really no notion of "dibs" (i.e. putting your name there first doesn't put you ahead of anybody else); though it might be a useful means of letting others know how much competition they have for a particular idea...

On April 22/2013, Google will open the student application process. At that time, you should be ready to submit a darned good project proposal. You should use the time between now and then to gather the information that you need to impress us in that proposal.

The proposal template that we'll post when the time comes will look something like this:

--
Abstract - Provide a short (one paragraph) description of your proposal.

Detailed Information - Provide more information about your proposal. Here you can provide some background information, list possible existing Eclipse projects that may provide a reasonable home for your work. What Eclipse technology will you leverage? What resources will you require to be successful? How will the Eclipse community benefit from your contribution?

Background - What work do you expect to do in the time leading up to the start of the GSoC programme? What background information will you need to get started and what do you plan to do to gather that information? What help do you need to gather that information?

Deliverables - What do you expect to deliver? Be as specific as possible.

Schedule - List a series of at least three milestones and what you expect to have accomplished for each.

Expectations - What do you expect from your mentor? What help are you going to need? (e.g. will you need help learning about Eclipse plug-in development, or about any specific features of Eclipse that you'll need to leverage as part of your project?).

Contact Information - Tell us a bit about yourself. A paragraph that states your work and education experience should suffice. We don't want your resume. Let us know why you are a worthwhile investment of our time. Please provide an email address that we can use to contact you.
--

Plan on spending effort convincing us that you will be able to do what you set out to do. This may require some homework on your part.

HTH,

Wayne