Re: [soa-iwg] ECF remote services

Hi Ian,

Ian Skerrett wrote:
Scott,

You may not agree with the SOA IWG charter and think it is a bad decision. That is your right and opinion but it doesn't make it wrong.

What makes it wrong is that it's wrong.

The reason we created the IWG concept is to allow organizations to address the solution needs not being addressed by existing projects. I agree 100% that asking Eclipse projects to do tools and runtimes is not useful or consistent.

In other words:  wrong.

However, I trust you agree developers do need tools and runtimes to complete their job.

Yeah...that's why *as I've already said a number of times*...we *do* provide tooling for the remote services work...by writing to *standards* that are already supported via the tooling work of other projects...PDE, DS, etc...along with some supplemental tooling of our own (to deal with discovery...which is unique to remote OSGi services).

Therefore, the SOA IWG is trying to create an integrated solution of tools and runtimes to meet the needs of a SOA developer. This is exactly why we created the IWG concept.

Then why wasn't it created as an actual multi-project, multi-vendor working group...instead of a single project, single-vendor 'working group'? To actually meet those needs of the SOA developer in the only way appropriate: to leverage all of the relevant projects.

I would also like to point out that packages can be created by any committer, not just IWG. There is nothing stopping you from creating your own package to meet the needs of your community.

This is bull**** Ian. Like all other projects we don't have the means to do everything ourselves (i.e. just do our own package). Besides...the process doesn't even allow doing one's own package anyway (the EPP process for adding packages is still closed, as you know).

Scott

Ian