From: smila-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:smila-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ivan Churkin
Sent: Dienstag, 30. September 2008 09:49
To: Smila project developer mailing list
Subject: Re: [smila-dev] binstorage redesign

Imho, its a problems of bin storage implementation, it should not be reflected in API

For my interface sample

interface BinStorage{
    InputStream get(String id);
    String add(InputStream stream);
    update(String id, InputStream stream);
    remove(String id);
    boolean exist(String id);
}

this specific binstorage implementation may generate String Id in Path style during add()

--
Ivan

Thomas Menzel wrote:
well, my thinking is that we provide a virtual file system as a binary storage.
hence a client (not now, but it is thought of that the bin storage is an infrastructure item that may offer his service to other clients as well) may want/need to organize his data hierarchically, as if in normal file system.

if that is not needed for now in BS then we can limit the impl. currently to just offer a hashset-style storage but the API should support hierarchical (ie tree) structures and an FS is the most natural IMO.

we may also name the child just flat bin storage and later do a hierarchical bin storage if u like that better.

there is also most likely a performance aspect to full flat vs. hierarchical, as the lookup will be faster in a tree structure. that is not noticeable now with few items but when u have millions it will. also: when distributing the data in a cluster, nodes in a tree are a very welcome entity that can be mapped directly a hardware nodes.

all these are details for the (near) future but need to taken into consideration.

Kind regards
Thomas Menzel @ brox IT-Solutions GmbH