Re: [sirius-dev] Questions regarding a first contribution

On 25/03/2019 12:05, Emmanuel Chebbi wrote:

Hello,

Hi Emmanuel,

I have been working with Sirius for some time and now I would like to contribute to the project by writing code.

Thanks for your proposal!

I read the contributing guides but I am still a bit unsure about which bug I could address. There are many ones in Bugzilla, so should I randomly pick an unassigned one in the list and then contribute with a patch? Or are they prioritized somehow?

We don't maintain a list of such "starter" tickets (my bad), but I'll try to find a few candidates in the next few days. Are there particular areas that you know well or are specially interesed in? For example: Eclipse UI improvements, core EMF stuff, GEF/GMF work to improve specifically the diagrams?

Moreover, as I have never contributed to an Eclipse project before I am still a bit confused with the use of Gerrit. From my understanding, in order to propose a contribution I have to:

 1. Commit on the master branch
 2. Push to
    ssh://myusername@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:29418/sirius/org.eclipse.sirius.org.git
 3. Wait for the review on Gerrit

Am I right?

Regarding the process, you need to make sure you have signed the Eclipse Contributor Agreement [1] first, or any patches you propose will be rejected by the system. As for Gerrit, there is a little initial setup involved, but the process is indeed to:

1. Create the commit(s) on your local clone. It can be on master, but technically this is not a strict requirement. Make sure your commit message has a "Change-Id" footer so that if there are multiple iterations on the patch they can be tracked as such (their "Change-Id" will stay the same). 2. Push to the Gerrit repo (the URL you mentioned), but on the special branch "refs/for/master" (or "refs/for/v6.1.x" if you target a different branch). 3. Wait for a review, and iterate on the patch if needed. The team is generally quite busy, so I can not give you a fixed delay for the time to review, but if you propose a patch we'll try to react quickly. Do not hesitate to drop me a mail if needed.

The Eclipse Wiki has a page with all the details [2] about the Gerrit contribution process.

Regards,
Pierre-Charles David

[1] https://accounts.eclipse.org/user/eca
[2] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Gerrit