Re: [sequoyah-dev] Resource editor

Hi Jean,

the general rule we follow for resource names in Android is the same used for Java identifiers. This is because in the end, every resource you declare, will generate a variable in the R.java file created by ADT.

I don't recall where exactly in the Android official documentation this is stated, but after googling I found:

"Resource file names must be valid Java identifiers, for example they must start with a letter and may not contain any special symbols."
from http://www.wiseandroid.com/post/2010/06/14/Android-Beginners-Intro-to-Resources-and-Assets.aspx

Best,
 Marcel

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

On 6 October 2010 01:27, Daniel Pastore <kpqb38@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Jean,
> I'm moving this issue to the mailing list, so we might help other developers
> too, ok? :)
> We appreciate your suggestion of improvements. In fact, right now we are
> working on some already identified points to get a better user experience
> with Localization File Editor. We'll also analyze yours and work on them
> when possible.
> Regarding your questions, as an Android developer, there are some guidelines
> you can follow:
>
> http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/resources/localization.html
>
> http://developer.android.com/resources/tutorials/localization/index.html
>
> http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/resources/available-resources.html
>
> http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/resources/providing-resources.html

I had read all of those before.. But I didn't see any specifics in
case of what is allowed and what's isn't in the name of the resource
itself.
From what I have found so far though trial&errors.
name can't contain a space
name can't start with a digit (it can contain a digit though, so long
as it's not the first one)
can't contain & or /

I have almost 1000 of entries, trying to find out which one aren't
valid is a long & painful exercise..

JY