Re: [sequoyah-android-dev] Google opening up to contributions

Hi Doug,

I'm glad you raised this point, as I was planning on talking to you
and Eric about it at the CDT summit.

Quick note on our current status:
Yes we are very much open to contribution on the tools. Right now
development for the SDK tools (including the ADT plug-ins) is done
entirely in the open (since a bit before IO), and we intend to move
development of the NDK (scripts and tools) to the open soon.

I'll admit we haven't yet move discussions to the open, because since
we're the only ones contributing so far, it's a lot easier (especially
when you sit in the same office), but we're going to work on this. The
recent android-contrib mailing list is the place to start talking
about contributions, roadmap, etc...

I also plan on having more documentation about tools specific
contribution, roadmap, todo list, etc.. on source.android.com (just
need to find time to write it).
Finally, we started using the external bug tracker a bit more, we did
some cleaning up, but there's much more to do there.

By the way, a quick side note. I don't think we've ever rejected tools
contributions. It's just been hard for external contributors when they
had no idea what was going on in our internal repository and I think
that prevented the creation of a community.

I would love if the NDK integration was done in ADT. It just makes
more sense to me. Also, I'm concerned about whether or not it can be
fully done in Sequoyah without dependencies on ADT. I think we can do
a better integration directly in ADT (or as an extension to ADT)

If you want to contribute to AOSP, we are ready to support you and
help in any way we can.

Xavier

--
Xavier Ducrohet
Android SDK Tech Lead

Please do not send me questions directly. Thanks!

Back to the top