Re: [science-iwg] Does someone know OpenSCADA?

On 04/02/2013 06:51 PM, Philip Wenig wrote:
Hi folks,

who knows something about OpenSCADA?
http://openscada.org

May the project fit to our scientific working group?

Cheers,
Philip

Hi Philip,

very interesting but my first reaction is no, not really. OpenSCADA is a control system toolkit. From the screenshots it seems to integrates with Eclipse well but otherwise it is not really related to scientific data analysis. I am part of a similar OSS project called TANGO (https://www.tango-controls.org/) which is used in over 15 scientific institutes in Europe. But I wouldn't consider it as part of the Science-IWG because it deals with controls mainly (even if we use it to trigger online data analysis too). My understanding of the Science-IWG is that it is focused on scientific data analysis. Nothing prevents someone from integrating OpenSCADA with a scientific data analysis program in a common Eclipse/RCP application. On the contrary that is the strength of Eclipse.

I would be interested in hearing other opinions too. I might be wrong ...

Andy

Back to the top