Re: [science-iwg] Eclipse RCP and R-Integration

Hello Philip,

good examples are available in the Rserve <http://www.rforge.net/Rserve/> and JRI <http://www.rforge.net/rJava/>  packages.

I decided to use Rserve in the past because of its speed and its flexibility to connect my application
with a local or remote instance (or several instances) of R for resource intensive calculation tasks.

If you need a true REPL <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Read%E2%80%93eval%E2%80%93print_loop> then JRI is the way to go. In Bio7 i did a lot to mimic a REPL with Rserve.

Simply put the required *.jars and native libs on the System and Java classpath and your are ready to evaluate
R scripts from within your application.

Here are some notes and ImageJ examples which i put together for the last ImageJ conference and might be helpful.

http://bio7.org/?page_id=1753

I should also mention one Java-R binding alternative
http://www.mhsatman.com/rcaller.php (Transfer is based on streams)

and an interesting project which is "a new JVM-based interpreter for the R"
http://code.google.com/p/renjin/

For a Java Matlab integration have a look at the MIJ plugin <http://bigwww.epfl.ch/sage/soft/mij/> for ImageJ which could be a help to create a decent Matlab
Java connection.

Cheers,