[rtp-dev] RTP EclipseCon 2011 retrospective

Hey guys,
sorry for letting you wait. I'm quite busy right now. So, with this post I want give you a short retrospective of the 2011 EclipseCon.

First of all, our shirts were awesome ;)
@Georgi: Did you received yours?
@Hugues: I still need your postal address ;)

Anyway, let's come to some technical stuff. There was an RT BoF which was actually an RTP BoF because everybody talked about the RTP project. So, we received a lot of good feedback and some negative feedback. This was the same in the RTP BoF a day later. Some people think that having to much packages is not a good thing. And I have to say that I think so too. I mean, it's fine that we have two packages right now. But I think we should have not more than three to avoid confusion. What do you think? Pascal pointed this already out in his post. We need to spend a little work in presenting this packages more effective.

From a technical point of view there was a great idea in the RTP BoF. We decided to implement a small command set which is similar to the Debian APT Tool. This will allow new users to install, deinstall ... stuff very easily. Something like this command is thinkable.
osgi> rt install ecf
This should install the latest version of ecf which will be provided in a p2 repository we have created. This repository should provide "nice" feature names like "ecf", "rap" and so on. I implemented the basic command set and pushed it to our git repository. You can find it in a folder called "configurator". Any thoughts on this?

My ideal imagination of RTP in the future is, that we will provide only one package in different facets. Something like the basic package and if we want to provide e.g. a web package we should be able to add a configuration to the basic package. When a user starts this package all web stuff should be installed automatically. Maybe we can achieve this for juno. What do you think?

At EclipseCon I also talked to Ian Skerret and probably we can add one rt package to the eclipse.org download page. But I have to talk to him again before indigo.

The last point regarding the EclipseCon was the RTP talk. I think it went pretty well. It was not so technical. I just wanted to transport the message behind this project. The slides can be found here:

Cheers Holger

Innoopract Informationssysteme GmbH
Tel: +49 721 - 66 47 33 - 0
Fax: +49 721 - 66 47 33 29
According to Section 80 of the German Corporation Act Innoopract
Informationssysteme GmbH must indicate the following information:
Address: Stephanienstrasse 20, 76133 Karlsruhe Germany
General Manager: Jochen Krause
Registered Office: Karlsruhe, Commercial Register Mannheim HRB 107883