Re: [rtp-dev] RTP EclipseCon 2011 retrospective

Thanks Holger for the feedback. I wish I could have made it this year.

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Holger Staudacher
<hstaudacher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey guys,
> sorry for letting you wait. I'm quite busy right now. So, with this post I
> want give you a short retrospective of the 2011 EclipseCon.
> First of all, our shirts were awesome ;)
> @Georgi: Did you received yours?
> @Hugues: I still need your postal address ;)
Done ;)
> Anyway, let's come to some technical stuff. There was an RT BoF which was
> actually an RTP BoF because everybody talked about the RTP project. So, we
> received a lot of good feedback and some negative feedback. This was the
> same in the RTP BoF a day later. Some people think that having to much
> packages is not a good thing. And I have to say that I think so too. I mean,
> it's fine that we have two packages right now. But I think we should have
> not more than three to avoid confusion. What do you think? Pascal pointed
> this already out in his post. We need to spend a little work in presenting
> this packages more effective.
> From a technical point of view there was a great idea in the RTP BoF. We
> decided to implement a small command set which is similar to the Debian APT
> Tool. This will allow new users to install, deinstall ... stuff very easily.
> Something like this command is thinkable.
> osgi> rt install ecf
> This should install the latest version of ecf which will be provided in a p2
> repository we have created. This repository should provide "nice" feature
> names like "ecf", "rap" and so on. I implemented the basic command set and
> pushed it to our git repository. You can find it in a folder called
> "configurator". Any thoughts on this?
Thanks for getting started on this.
Internally we use apt repositories to provision our installations;
this is right on target for our admins.
I would be interested to put together a small web UI to run those
installation and update commands.
Maybe there is already such thing in fact?

> My ideal imagination of RTP in the future is, that we will provide only one
> package in different facets. Something like the basic package and if we want
> to provide e.g. a web package we should be able to add a configuration to
> the basic package. When a user starts this package all web stuff should be
> installed automatically. Maybe we can achieve this for juno. What do you
> think?
OK, simpler is better.
Do those facets match a set of features and we would build shortcuts
for a selected few to ease their installation?

> At EclipseCon I also talked to Ian Skerret and probably we can add one rt
> package to the eclipse.org download page. But I have to talk to him again
> before indigo.
> The last point regarding the EclipseCon was the RTP talk. I think it went
> pretty well. It was not so technical. I just wanted to transport the message
> behind this project. The slides can be found here:
> http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/2011/03/25/eclipse-runtime-out-of-the-box-eclipsecon-2011-slides/
Nice ones,
Best Hugues