Re: [rt-pmc] org.eclipse™ and DVCS [was: Re: [ercp-dev] Time for a termination review for eRCP?]

Sounds about right. Thanks.

Regards,
Glyn

On 28 Nov 2012, at 16:44, Wayne Beaton wrote:

IANAL. But you knew that already...

On 11/28/2012 11:18 AM, Glyn Normington wrote:
In the world of distributed version control, this has interesting ramifications. I guess that someone forking an Eclipse project, e.g. on github, with a view to doing an experiment, informing the work of the Eclipse project, developing a (potential) contribution to the Eclipse project, and such like is abiding by the spirit of the above request. But if such a fork took on a life of its own, e.g. started shipping deliverables independently of the Eclipse project and with modifications to the Eclipse project codebase, then they'd probably need to change package naming to abide by the above request.
I believe that there's some grey area in here. Forking the project, making some minor changes, and incorporating it into some other project/product would, I expect, be fine. When the fork starts to take on an independent life of its own, then some name changing is required. I'm not sure how to define precisely where that line is.

Wayne
--
Wayne Beaton
The Eclipse Foundation