Re: [riena-dev] SWTDesigner and Riena Views

Hi Christian,

thanks for the update - and I took only the good news for me :-)

its important for me to know that you're working on this - and because I'm at the moment focussing on all the views I can generate using redView I think it'll take 3 weeks or so before I go back trying to design my complex or special-case views using SWTDesigner.

would be great if you put all the HowTos and Tips at Riena Wiki

status of redView:

* our layout is nearly complete, works great on OSX and windows and looks exactly the same
* databinding needs some time
* generating the views from my UML model using oaw works well - already generated some hundred views

hopefully in 2 - 3 weeks you can get a first demo

ekke
btw: of course I'll tell Eric how important integration of riena into swtdesigner - codegeneration is ;-)

Christian Campo schrieb:
Hi Ekke,

good news and bad news :-) Good news is that we are now actually allocating ressources to investigate and document the use of SWT Designer in combination with Riena. Bad news is that we are only starting NOW and havnt done much yet other than do some preliminary testing and find the most obvious things.

But there are only so many things you can do in a given time.

But we are seriously now looking into this and will come up with some results in the next few weeks.

Some obvious things are that we need a kind of template for creating view and controller with some placeholders. That is something that we might be able to address with a wizard that create a new Riena View with Controller and an assembly for placing that into the navigation tree. A workstudent is working on that and we might be soon able to contribute that as a patch.

The other thing is the addUIControl call that you have to place for every widget in the view. That does two things. One is it adds a property into the data hashmap to give the widget a name and it adds it to the container of widgets for which we need to later automatically create a ridget.
The first step can already been done in SWT Designer. Not beautiful but doable. The second step could be automated in Riena.

These are the things I accross when doing some preliminary testing. As I said we are going to do some more investigation starting now.

christian