Re: [rdf4j-dev] #641: Allow interactive stacking of SAILs in Console/Workbench

Hi,

On 3 March 2017 at 22:39, Jeen Broekstra <jeen.broekstra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 14 Feb 2017, at 04:17, Jacek Grzebyta <grzebyta.dev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I thought about that and the only tool I know might be useful for that is
> Spring Framework AplicationContext (aka BeanFactory).
>

> I feel like I’m missing some context here. Is this a reply intended as a
> comment on issue https://github.com/eclipse/rdf4j/issues/641 ? Or were you
> replying to some other specific mail and did that message get lost somehow?

You did not miss anything. I just meant about starting discussion
about more flexible configuration.

BeanFactory/ApplicationContext is very flexible (see
http://docs.spring.io/spring/docs/current/javadoc-api/org/springframework/beans/factory/config/ObjectFactoryCreatingFactoryBean.html).
And my worry is it is too flexible and the original flexibility should
be limited - as I listed in the cons.

> As for your suggestion: my Spring is rusty but if using a BeanFactory helps
> make config more flexible I’m all for it.
>
> For me there is only one big pro:
>
> - Simple but powerful XML syntax to define even complex solutions.
> - Possibility to pre-loading values
> - Possibility of usage factories
> - The outcome is well and clean wrapped as used defined
>

> cons:
>
> - BeanFactory layer should be separated from the rest of the application. It
> is not difficult but might be tricky (see pros 2nd and 3rd). It might be
> necessary to wrap everything (factory + outcome) within borders to close
> possibility of creating some nasty monster for both server and putative
> users.
>
> - I found spring framework is already in use so our ApplicationContext
> instance should not be linked with the rest of instances.
>

> I can’t really comment on your analysis beyond that I think it sounds like
> you’ve got a solid approach in your head. If you have time to put a first
> draft design together that’d be great!

I will try.

> That is my thoughts,
> Best regards,
> Jacek
>
> PS I could not figure out where are located templates for RDF models which
> are passed to the main server's repository with values given by user or is
> that final RDF created dynamicaly by parser?
>

> The templates are in src/main/resources in repository-api.

Thanks a lot.

Cheerio,
Jacek

Back to the top