Von: Tim Buschtöns <tbuschto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
An: RAP project development-related communication <rap-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Datum: 09.05.2014 12:22
Betreff: Re: [rap-dev] Support Internet Explorer < 9 without VML
Gesendet von: rap-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi.

It should be possible to modify any RAP version to work without VML, assuming the "classic" theme is used (as it doesn't use gradients/rounded borders) and no Canvas widgets are used.
The ProgressBar widget is also problematic, but could be modified to work without VML.
However, these changes aren't trivial and I can not give you some easy-to-follow tutorial to implement them. I would have to do it myself and probably need at least few days for that.

Greetings,
Tim

Am 09.05.2014 08:24, schrieb
frank.jakop@xxxxxxxxx:
Hello,

we are using RAP 1.5.2 for about 7 applications among 400 customers. Most of them still stick to Windows XP and therefore to IE 8 (because our customers are mostly bank institutes who depend on external IT service provider).

Recently a security vulnerability in the Microsoft VML-Library came up which was fixed by an out-of-band patch (
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2964358 relating to https://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/library/security/ms14-021).

Instead of using this patch the service provider of our customers suggested disabling the VML-capabilities of IE by unregistering the dll "%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\VGX\vgx.dll". This makes every RAP-application non-functional on IE < 9, because it tries to initialize an org.eclipse.rwt.VML in org.eclipse.rwt.GraphicsUtil, if the engine reports to support VML [1].

As far as we can see, IE up to version 8 reports as engine name "mshtml", which in org.eclipse.rwt.Client leads to returning true in function supportsVml. [2]

So the question is: Is it possible to get around this with

a) not having the customers upgrade to IE >= 9

b) not having the customers use a different browser

c) not having the customers to re-enable the vgx.dll

?

Best regards

Frank Jakop
Teamleiter
________________________

arxes-tolina GmbH
Salzufer 8, 10587 Berlin

http://www.arxes-tolina.de

[1]

statics : {

   _renderClass :
null,

   init :
function() {

if( this._renderClass == null ) {

if( org.eclipse.rwt.Client.supportsVml() ) {

this._renderClass = org.eclipse.rwt.VML;
       }
else if ( org.eclipse.rwt.Client.supportsSvg() ) {

this._renderClass = org.eclipse.rwt.SVG;
       }

if( this._renderClass != null ) {

this._renderClass.init();
       }

     }

   },

[2]

supportsVml : function() {

     return ( this.getEngine() === "mshtml" ) && ( this.getVersion() >= 5.5 );

},

Innoopract Informationssysteme GmbH
tbuschto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tel: +49 721 - 66 47 33 - 0