Re: [rap-dev] Widget Contribution to RAP Incubator

Hi Austin,

It is great to hear that you want to join the RAP community as a committer. Welcome!

I looked at the various things you integrated with RAP and it all looks really cool.

Regarding your first planned contribution we will have to talk to the Eclipse IP team, as the License of the Emprise _javascript_ Charts is not EPL. I see the analogy with the Google Maps example, and I have to admit that we did not run that by the IP team. There is a subtle difference because we are not distributing this example as part of our releases, it simply serves as example code. Not sure what the conclusion of the IP team is going to be, but I am optimistic that we will find a solution. There is "glue code" to commercial / non free stuff in other projects, but it requires special treatment and authorization.

The Simile Timeline and Open Layers Map look great, and would also be very welcome contributions. A coverflow widget would be really cool, did you use any third party library for building it?

If there is any code that you developed yourself without the use of a library this would be the easiest to get started with. Second easiest is code using compatible open source licenses, which should work with both Timeline and Map. Third party code will have to get cleared in any event, but this can happen in parallel with development because the RAP incubator project is in "incubation state".

Regarding the next steps:

- Did you clarify with your employer that you can become a committer at Eclipse? You will need an employer consent form and individual committer agreement:

- We will start a discussion with the IP team around the contribution of the Emprise Wrapper.

- Maybe you could reconsider the order of your planned contributions to ease the start?

I hope you don't find this message confusing, if you have any questions I would be happy to talk to you. I am sure that Chris Aniszczyk will also be available to help you getting started with contributing to Eclipse.

Best Regards,

Jochen

###
Jochen Krause