Re: [qvto-dev] Oustanding discussion for QVT 1.3 Ballot 3

Hi

Why must the re-execution fail again? A mapping behavior can depend on “global” variables or any other context. Therefore the behavior might change from failure to success between two mapping executions.

I don’t see a difference between ‘result’ and ‘out’. An ‘out’ param should only be assigned in the init section, not later.  Of course both can still be mutated during population (maybe end as well), so the trace record mutates as well. The only problem I see is when the trace record refers to a copy instead of the original result. But why should that be the case? For mutable datatypes? Why?

IMHO an inout param shouldn’t be assigned at all. It can only mutate.

My visitor-like QVTo cloning transformations do often re-enter a mapping from their own population section. See http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-1285/paper06.pdf for the very same idea. The reason are loops inside models, where the most simple loop is a plain opposite reference. These transformations rely on the presence of the result in the trace right after init, because they must reuse the real result instead of null. Otherwise a model won’t be cloned correctly using that approach.

Kind regards

Christopher