Re: [ptp-user] Synchronized C++ Project Builds Delete Files in .gitignore

On Montag, 13. April 2020 17:53:47 CEST Davidson, Josh wrote:
> “PTP sync projects are designed to mirror a remote directory (be as if you
> were working on the remote machine), except  for not sync'ing files
> explicitly filtered by the user, such as large data or binary files.”
> That seems to be the opposite as how synchronized projects are created.  In
> the project wizard, I point to a local directory, which gets
> synchronized/mirrored to a remote system; not the other way around.
> However, the distinction may not be meaningful to this particular
> discussion.

> I can understand not sync’ing files between the machines that are in the
> project’s .gitignore, but PTP seems to a bit more forceful than that.  It
> appears that on each sync to the remote connection it runs the equivalent
> of “git clean -dfX” (blow away all ignored files) on the remote system.

> Josh

Hi,

I am not sure whether this is related or unrelated, but I also noted some
unexpected file deletions during PTP synchronization in recent Eclipse
versions. Time is running fast for me, so "recent" may well mean several
years. It didn't bother or annoy me, so I didn't investigate until now.

So far, I never started with the remote project. I always start with a git
clone locally and then import from git on the local host, convert it to a C/C+
+ (or Fortran) project and then convert to a synchronized project, which
creates the remote copy - typically on a scratch disk -- which marks the
remote files as unimportant and volatile.

I typically have a .gitignore locally, but since "recently" (see above)
.gitignore seems to be ignored by ptp-sync. I don't know for sure, because the
files in .gitignore and the files excluded from .ptp-sync are the same most of
the time. However, if this is considered important in this discussion, I can
make some ptp-sync experiments with one of my dozen or so active workspaces.

Not necessarily since the same "recent Eclipse version", I noted that result
files from runs created remotely are moved to the local system rather than
copied during the following ptp-sync. Means, they are removed from the remote
file system. These are the unexpected file deletions I was referring to in my
first sentence. As I was interested to have the result files locally, I didn't
care too much about the remote copies. I would have deleted them manually
later on anyway. Again, if this provides insight for this discussion, I might
do some experiments about these features - on request only.

I haven't yet checked about file deletions during a large C++ or Fortran build.
However, if there were any, I would expect the gnu loader report about
unresolved references - or the local git instance report about tracked files
being deleted without marking them with 'git rm ...'.  None of that happened
so far or I could trace these cases down to reasons outside Eclipse PTP.

I hope to have added something usable to this discussion.
--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Dr. Christoph Pospiech
Phone: +49-351 86269826