Re: [ptp-user] (no subject)

On Tuesday, July 09, 2013 13:58:47 Roland Schulz <roland@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is it important to you not to ignore the top-level gitignore? Ignoring

> files only has an effect on untracked files. Thus as soon as you added the

> top-level gitignore it doesn't matter if it is itself ignored. Thus you can

> simplify your rules to:

> .gitignore

> (no slash in the rule means that it applies to files in any directory).

Hi,

it works ! Thanks for the hint !

> I don't see a disadvantage of renaming and don't remember why we choose to

> use the gitignore name. So I think this is a good idea.

> On the other hand I'm not sure it makes so much sense to add the .ignore_me

> to the .gitignore. We want the sync to be independent of the version

> control, work with any version control, and we don't know which VC the user

> is using. We can't really add the .ignore_me to the cvs/svn/git/... ignore

> files just in case a user is using that type of version control. Thus, I

> think the user might need to add it themselves based on the version control

> they choose.

> Roland

You are right, I forgot the users of other VCs. But isn't there a bias towards git anyway as PTP synchronization is using git under the cover ? Given that, would it hurt to give the git users an extra treatment ? But I agree, it would be comfortable, but definitely not urgently needed. I can myself add the line '.gitignore' to .gitignore.

I didn't test though (lacking empty directories) whether adding '.gitignore' to .gitignore has some adverse effects on the original purpose of these files. Means, these files were added to force git to replicate an empty directory. Now I am telling git to ignore these files...

But adding these files (.gitignore or .ignore_me) only to empty directories would already alleviate the above discussion for most users. So I would opt for a higher priority for this feature - and it applies to all VCs.

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Dr. Christoph Pospiech

High Performance & Parallel Computing

Phone: +49-351 86269826

Mobile: +49-171-765 5871

E-Mail: christoph.pospiech@xxxxxxxxxx

IBM Deutschland GmbH / Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter

Geschäftsführung: Martina Koederitz (Vorsitzende), Reinhard Reschke, Dieter Scholz, Gregor Pillen, Joachim Heel, Christian Noll

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ehningen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 14562 / WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 99369940

Back to the top