[ptp-user] I can't ignore .gitignore

Hi,

I thought the following feature would go away silently when moving from Iuno
to Kepler - it didn't. PTP still adds an empty file .gitignore into every
directory prior to initialize PTP synchronization.

Despite its name, .gitignore neither is invisible nor ignored by git. Instead,
it produces the following annoying side effects.

With command line git, each .gitignore is treated as a file that is currently
not tracked. If the project has lots of subdirectories, this floods the output
of e.g. git status with .gitignore listings which makes it hard to read.

With Egit, each directory in the project explorer is marked with '>', if this
directory contains untracked or changed files. This is a nice feature that can
quickly guide you to the files that need to be committed. Unfortunately,
.gitignore also is treated as untracked directory content, hence each
directory is marked with '>' regardless as soon as PTP synchronization has
been set up.

What was the reason for adding this file in the first place ? I darkly remember
an answer given in this mailing list more than a year ago. I remember that
.gitignore was used to enforce replication of (otherwise) empty directories
(as they are no longer empty, when they contain .gitignore). If this is still
true and if this is the only reason, would it be possible to restrict the use
of .gitignore to empty directories ?

Or do we need a non-void .gitignore that instructs git to ignore any
.gitignore  ? :-)
--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Dr. Christoph Pospiech
High Performance & Parallel Computing
Phone: +49-351 86269826
Mobile: +49-171-765 5871
E-Mail: christoph.pospiech@xxxxxxxxxx
IBM Deutschland GmbH / Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Martina Koederitz (Vorsitzende), Reinhard Reschke, Dieter
Scholz, Gregor Pillen, Joachim Heel, Christian Noll
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ehningen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB
14562 / WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 99369940

Back to the top