Re: [ptp-user] PTP synchronized projects - Ooops, remote make doesn't execute ?

On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 16:57:55  John Eblen <jeblen@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi

> The true build command is constructed in the method "constructCommand" in

> the file:

> org.eclipse.ptp.rdt.sync.core.remotemake.SyncCommandLauncher

> If you have a development environment handy, you can set a breakpoint here.

John,

thanks for these hints. I am afraid I never used a development environment before. I am an eclipse user, not (yet ?) an eclipse developer. I guess it would be a steep learning curve. Nevertheless, can someone point me to an URL on how to get started ?

The other way would be to inspect log files. It still might be hard to get information from them if you don't know any code internals. Nevertheless, is there any debug information to look at ?

> The actual command executed depends on whether you are using environment

> management. If so,

> PTP creates a temporary file using "mktemp" and runs it with "bash -l <temp

> file>"

Ooops, that brings us to another, perhaps unrelated problem. The system has modules installed, but when I try to switch on environment management, it hangs.

> If not, PTP uses

> "bash -l -c <make command>. Thus testing "mktemp" and running commands with

> bash might offer some clues.

> John

I was mostly going along this path (i.e. I unticked environment management). I guess I will start experimenting here. The installation is in some sense one of a kind. The customer is running AIX 6.1, but he was dissatisfied about the state of the GNU tools provided even with Linux Toolbox and perzl.org. So he set out and recompiled the whole GNU stack and placed it under /client/etc, /client/bin, /client/lib, ... Hence there is /bin/bash and /client/bin/bash, and there is /usr/bin/make and /client/bin/make. I guess, I have to find out what versions are being used. Presumably, I will find some entanglement there...

Oh, and BTW, presumably this also provides a clue why environment management is hanging. I just spotted a file /client/etc/profile.modules which calls

if [ "${modules_shell}" != "none" ]

then

. /sw/share/Modules/init/${modules_shell}

fi

I guess eclipse environment management never looks in THIS place (= /client/etc) for any module initialization routines...

I will keep you posted.

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Dr. Christoph Pospiech

High Performance & Parallel Computing

Phone: +49-351 86269826

Mobile: +49-171-765 5871

E-Mail: christoph.pospiech@xxxxxxxxxx

IBM Deutschland GmbH / Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter

Geschäftsführung: Martina Koederitz (Vorsitzende), Reinhard Reschke, Dieter Scholz, Gregor Pillen, Joachim Heel, Christian Noll

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ehningen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 14562 / WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 99369940

Back to the top