[ptp-user] SDM: is gdb version > 6.3 required for Fortran debugging?

Hi,

On Dec 2, 2011, at 1:51 PM, Brian Bonnlander wrote:

Hello PTP Developers,

I have just started using PTP, so it's certain possible that I'm missing something, but I'm having some problems using the SDM debugger.   I've managed to compile the MPI-Fortran "Hello World" example locally on my OSX machine using the PGI compiler:

mpif90 -f90=pgf90 -g -o bin/mpi_fortran src/mpi_fortran.f90

I compiled SDM for my machine and got my Resource Manager to start successfully.   But when I try to create a breakpoint, I get

Is it possible to debug a program compiled with the PGI compiler using gdb? The SDM uses gdb for debugging, so this needs to be supported for it to work properly.

I don't know how to test whether a parallel program can run using gdb; as far as I know it can debug only single-process programs.   However, I may be using an old version of gdb that does not completely support fortran. The Snow Leopard installed version is 6.3.50-20050815.    Any idea if this version is too old?

For completeness, I will just mention that when I type "gdb mpi_fortran" on my HelloWorld executable and then "run" I get the same output as when I run the executable without going through "mpirun":

$ gdb mpi_fortran
GNU gdb 6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-1515) (Sat Jan 15 08:33:48 UTC 2011)
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-apple-darwin"...Reading symbols for shared libraries .. done

(gdb) run
Starting program: /users/bonnland/src/eclipseProjects/mpi_fortran/bin/mpi_fortran
Reading symbols for shared libraries +. done
Error from ioctl = 6
 Error is: : Device not configured
 Hello MPI World From process 0: Num processes:             1
FORTRAN STOP

Program exited normally.
(gdb)

The only other "strange" thing I've noticed in trying to configure the Resource Manager is:   Each time I start Eclipse, I get the following error dialog:

<PastedGraphic-3.tiff>

The reason appears to be that Eclipse never stores the chosen installation location is for the MPICH2 commands.   That is, the following dialog always starts with a blank Installation Location, even when I change it, click "Finish", and return to this dialog in the same session.
I have to browse to the same directory each time I start Eclipse, after which the problem appears to go away.     Strangely, though this field in the dialog box is blank each time I bring it up, the resource manager continues to start up correctly after I browse to the MPICH2 directory the first time.   If I quit Eclipse, however, the error dialog returns.

This sounds the resource manager configuration is not being  saved correctly. Please open a bug against the RM.MPICH2 component.

OK, I will submit a bug within the next few days.  In the meantime I will try a temporary workaround, where I explicitly spell out the path to all MPI scripts for the Resource Manager,.

Thanks for your help,

--Brian

Regards,
Greg