Re: [ptp-user] ptp-user Digest, Vol 61, Issue 3

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Christoph Pospiech <Christoph.Pospiech@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sunday, December 04, 2011, Roland Schulz <roland@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> You are trying to create a RemoteTools connection? You don't need to import
> it to General->Network Connections->SSH2. As far as I know we don't use the
> keys configured there for RemoteTools connections.
>
> You can specify your ssh private key when you create the connection. You
> can create the connection either by:
> - Right Click->Create in the Remote Enviroments View
> - or by clicking "New..." on the last page of the new synchronized project
> wizard.
>
> In that connection wizard you can click "Public key based authentication"
> and you can leave the field empty for the pass-phrase. It'll ask you on
> each connection for the pass-phrase.
>
> Roland

Thanks for these explanations. Actually, I precisely tried to follow these
instructions above. Unfortunately, a public/private key pair wouldn't work
with the remote connection, unless it underwent the following special
treatment.
- Remove pass-phrase
- Import to General->Network Connections->SSH2
- Reset the pass-phrase to the original value inside eclipse
- Save private key (I guess that means an export from eclipse)

Removing and re-adding the pass-phrase and importing/exporting in/from eclipse
should be reverse operations. So common sense would expect that the key pair
comes out unchanged out of this special treatment. Experience shows that this
is not true. Something changes that makes the key usable for synchronized
projects. If not treated like above, the remote connection never would come
active as it keeps asking for the pass-phrase for ever and ever. Apparently,
it is not able to unlock the key.

Any idea what happens there ?

I would assume, that Eclipse uses a different encryption algorithm for exporting the private key, than the one your original private key was encrypted with before. Do you still have the original one? I would assume that the DEK-Info is different (3rd line in the file). It might be that the Java library for the SSH connection (Jsch) doesn't support the encryption algorithm of your original key but the library used for import-key does. If that is true we can open a Bug against Jsch. In that case it would be good to know how  you encrypted your original key (which program, what options), so we can describe how to reproduce the problem.

Roland

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Dr. Christoph Pospiech