[ptp-user] Setting breakpoints in a remote C++ project

Ladies and Gents,

I am using eclipse indigo on Windows 7 (64) to build a moderately complex C++ app on a linux (centos 5.3/64) host with 2GB RAM (nearly all available). I am using a 'Remote C/C++ Project', using 'Remote Tools' as a provider.

The problem: when debugging I am unable to set a working breakpoint on source code that I haven't stepped into. In more detail - I can open a source file from the project (from the remote explorer view), and the UI allows me to set a breakpoint, but the breakpoint is never hit. But if (for example when breaking at main()) the debugger opens the source file, I can successfully set breakpoints in that tab. Note: I have set the debugger executable as: 'plink <host> gdb', running gdb on the remote host as opposed to the local host.

In the eclipse editor UI, the difference between a file that works and a file that doesn't is that when you hover over the tab you see paths like this:

- working: c:\users\jim\work\trunk\rmnotifier\application\src\main.cpp
- not working: /rmnotifier/application/src/main.cpp

I added a debugger source path mapping: /mnt/work/trunk/rmnotifier/ => c:\users\jim\work\trunk\rmnotifier

In the breakpoints view - breakpoints that work appear as normal breakpoints do in non-remote projects, also when looking at the properties. Breakpoints that don't work are listed with "{Global: Root}" next to them, and when I look at the properties they are of type 'PTP Line breakpoint'.

Possibly it's down to the fact that I have set the debugger executable as: 'plink <host> gdb', and the remote gdb talks to the gdb server on the (same) remote machine. If I absolutely have to build a cross-compiler version of gdb to get this to work, then can you point me to some instructions on how to build this, or ideally download a built example? There are some ancient cross-compiler docs on the MinGW site but from the level of negative body language in the howto  I can tell this is going to be a pain.

CDT: 8.0.0.201106081058
PTP: 5.0.1.201106271824
Eclipse: 3.7.0

Many thanks