[ptp-user] Updating to PTP/RDT 4.0.3 since the Helios SR! (Eclipse 3.6.1) release

Because of a feature change we made in RDT for the 4.0.3 release, and what we think is a p2 bug (part of the way Eclipse deals with installing software, and handling updates),
if you had PTP/RDT 4.0.0 (or 4.0.1 or 4.0.2) installed, and then did "Help > Check for Updates" after Helios SR1 was released (last Friday),
you probably see the following error:

Cannot complete the install because of a conflicting dependency.
Software being installed: PTP Remote Development Tools (RDT) 4.0.3.201009162109 (org.eclipse.ptp.rdt.feature.group 4.0.3.201009162109)
.... with lots more details....

We really do believe that we've made initial installation simpler and more foolproof, but unfortunately
you may see the above error when you update from an older version.

To get around this error, I recommend doing the following:
1. Uninstall PTP and RDT
Help > Install New Software ... and at the bottom, click the "What is already installed?" link.
In the next dialog, Select the pieces of PTP/RDT you have, e.g.:
a. Parallel Tools Platform (PTP) End-user runtime
b. PTP Remote Development Tools (RDT)
c. PTP RDT Remote Tools Support
Then select the "Uninstall..." button at the bottom of the dialog.
After the un-install, it should ask you to restart Eclipse. Do so.
2. Help > Check for Updates....
This should find the new changes to the platform and CDT.
After update it may prompt you to restart Eclipse. You can say "Not now" to skip if you like.
3. Re-install PTP and RDT
Help > Install New Software...
Select the Helios update site and install the following. Both are under General Purpose Tools:
a. Parallel Tools Platform (PTP) End-user runtime 4.0.3
b. PTP Remote Development Tools (RDT) 4.0.3
Note that you no longer need to install the PTP RDT Remote Tools Support - it's now part of RDT.

Sorry for any confusion.

If you are installing PTP/RDT in a new Eclipse installation, ALL YOU NEED is
a. Parallel Tools Platform (PTP) End-user runtime
b. PTP Remote Development Tools (RDT)
in order to use PTP with Remote Tools. Remote Tools is part of PTP (as always) and the RDT Remote Tools Support is now part of RDT.

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts
Eclipse Parallel Tools Platform http://eclipse.org/ptp
IBM STG Communications Protocols and Tools
Mailing Address: IBM Corp., Coldstream Research Campus, 745 West New Circle Road, Lexington, KY 40511

Back to the top