Re: [ptp-user] Delayed startup of PTP resource managers

Greg
I'm working on a plugin which has its own perspective and where I'm using
PTP to launch the target application using the profile configuration
dialog to pick a resource manager and application to run. If I don't have
the resource manager running, then I can't complete the profile
configuration dialog. I have to cancel out of that dialog then switch to
the PTP runtime perspective to make sure the resource managers are running
then go back to my perspective.

I can see where if I was using the C/C++ perspective to develop an
application, I would have the same startup problem since I would probably
be in that perspective most of the time and not remember to switch to PTP
runtime before shutting down.

Maybe it's just something that needs to be noted for real users to make
sure they do and not a major inconvenience since they probably wouldn't be
restarting Eclipse multiple times during the day. I'm just hitting this
path a lot with my plugin development and was thinking this might be
something that could be easily fixed to improve ease of use.

I found out that if I add the resource manager view to my perspective,
that the resource managers start automatically when I start Eclipse with
my perspective as the initial perspective. There's some cases where the
resource manager view would be useful in my perspective anyway, so maybe
that's the answer.
Dave

Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ptp-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
05/14/2009 10:21 AM
Please respond to
PTP User list <ptp-user@xxxxxxxxxxx>

PTP User list <ptp-user@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [ptp-user] Delayed startup of PTP resource managers

Dave,

This is a side effect of the lazy bundle activation policy. In theory
it would be possible to work out a way to load PTP only if there were
resource managers that needed to be started, but Eclipse generally
frowns on plugins that don't operate this way. Any particular reason
why you need this?

Greg