Re: [ptp-user] Run or Debug remote session.

Remote services are planned for 2.0.

However, you can experiment with remote access if you are happy to launch the proxy manually, and copy some files around. To do this, open Window->Preferences..., then open PTP->Open RTE. Select the 'Launch ORTE server manually' option. While you have preferences open, go to the PTP->Debug->SDM preferences. Change 'SDM client host' to the host name of your local machine, 'Path to backend debugger' to the location of gdb on the remote machine if it's not already in your path, and 'SDM executable' to the location of the sdm executable on the remote machine (see below).

Relauch Eclipse.

When the runtime system is loaded, you will see a dialog that says 'Waiting for manual launch of ptp_orte_proxy on port <port_num>...', where <port_num> is some number.

On the remote machine, build PTP the same way that you built it on your workstation (run 'sh BUILD'), then run the command:

/path/to/org.eclipse.ptp.linux.x86_64/bin/ptp_orte_proxy -- host=<eclipse_host> --port=<port_num>

where <eclipse_host> is the host name of the machine on which you're running Eclipse, and <port_num> is the above port number.

If everything is successful, then the dialog should disappear and you should see the node(s) associated with the machine.

To run the application on the remote machine, you will need to manually copy the executable to the same location that it is on your local machine (let me know if you'd like to specify a different location and we can add this to the launch configuration).

Needless to say, all this will be taken care of automatically in 2.0.

You will currently only ever see 'Machine0', since none of the runtimes support more than one machine. In 2.0, 'Machine0' will be replaced by one or more machines that are known by the job scheduler.

Regards,

Greg