Re: [ptp-dev] ptp_7_0 branch created

On 06/20/2013 02:11 PM, Roland Schulz wrote:

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Christopher Navarro <cmnavarr@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I still have some questions about getting things setup right for checking in fixes to a branch and then merging them to master:

1) Is there a way inside Eclipse to checkout both ptp_7_0 and master as "Local"? The only way I can seem to find is to switch to command line and do a git checkout -b branch-name origin/branch-name.
You can do this in Egit with Team->Switch To->New branch.

When performing the Switch To > New Branch, it asks for a Pull Strategy. What is the best/correct Pull strategy? Rebase is selected by default in the dialog box inside Eclipse, but the EGit wiki shows "Merge" selected.

2) I've setup a separate git repo to play with where I created a master and branch, I checked in and pushed a change to the branch. Then I switched back to master so I can merge the fix in, but I am not sure what selections to make in the Merge dialog so that I merge the fix back into master. There are 3 areas in the merge dialog to make selections: a tree showing the local, remote tracking and tags, a section on merge options and a section on Fast forward options. I'm not sure what to select. I've attached a screenshot of the merge dialog.
In almost all cases you want the defaults for those options. In the tree you select the version you want to merge in. It doesn't show the ptp_7_0 branch in your screenshot. You need to configure your fetch to get the ptp_7_0 remote branch if that is the one you want to merge into master. You can do that at: Team->Remote->Configure Fetch from Upstream.

The screenshot was for my test git repo where I can break things at will while I'm getting more familiar with Git operations.

In case you are confused about local versus remote tracking branches this might help: http://git-scm.com/book/ch3-5.html

Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

Chris

Back to the top