Re: [ptp-dev] API issues

I agree. I meant that everything should be exported, but marked internal. That is what I have been doing to the plugins I've updated so far.

Sorry for the confusion.

Greg

On May 2, 2013, at 11:13 AM, Chris Recoskie <recoskie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm against hiding packages.  Generally speaking the platform and CDT, as examples, export everything, even though many things may be flagged internal.  This allows consumers to use the internals if they must, even though it is discouraged.  If you don't export the packages, then no one can get at them at all.

Generally speaking in RDT we export everything, and if anything the ones that are not exported, if there are any currently, are an oversight.

===========================
Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT and RDT
IBM Toronto

<graycol.gif>Greg Watson ---05/02/2013 11:10:46 AM---We've been lax with our APIs in previous releases, so I'd like to get this sorted out for Kepler. I'

From: Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Parallel Tools Platform general developers <ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 05/02/2013 11:10 AM
Subject: [ptp-dev] API issues
Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

We've been lax with our APIs in previous releases, so I'd like to get this sorted out for Kepler. I'm going through each plugin to ensure that the packages are named correctly and they are exported only when necessary. This involves a small amount of reorganization in some cases, however expect the plugin contents to change a bit over the next couple of days.

Once this is complete, I will have a list of all the APIs and extension points that we are currently exporting. Component owners will need to ensure that the javadoc for every class, method, and field is properly updated, and that the extension points are properly documented. I will be generating documentation that will be in the org.eclipse.ptp.doc.isv help plugin. If you are unable/unwilling to do this, we will need to look at the API to determine if it should be marked internal.

Apologies in advance if I break anything. Let me know if you notice anything and I'll fix it up asap.

Thanks,
Greg