[ptp-dev] Launching tools without having Eclipse project first (was: Re: [photran] Photran as a standalone debugger)

We've been talking about doing that with general PTP/CDT projects too, would be useful for other tools as well.

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts
Eclipse Parallel Tools Platform  http://eclipse.org/ptp
IBM STG - High Performance Computing Tools
Mailing Address:  IBM Corp., 745 West New Circle Road, Lexington, KY 40511

Inactive hide details for Jeffrey Overbey ---03/01/2012 09:45:30 AM---Hi Lee, > what I want is to invoke Photran (eclipse) withJeffrey Overbey ---03/01/2012 09:45:30 AM---Hi Lee, > what I want is to invoke Photran (eclipse) without first starting the

Jeffrey Overbey <jeffreyoverbey@xxxxxxx>

Photran Information <photran@xxxxxxxxxxx>,

03/01/2012 09:45 AM

Re: [photran] Photran as a standalone debugger

    Sent by:

photran-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Lee,

> what I want is to invoke Photran (eclipse) without first starting the
> application and setting up a project etc.

Glad to hear you like the debugger.  :-)

Unfortunately, what you want isn't possible right now.  The debugger
depends on having a C/C++ project configured and a launch
configuration created for it... and those things have to be done
manually.

It might be possible to make this happen with some more programming --
as Ralph suggested.  (Thinking out loud...)  The easiest thing would
be, at startup, to have Photran create a project and launch
configuration "under the hood."  But Eclipse takes 10-30 seconds to
start as it is.  (Contrast with DDD, which starts in 2 seconds even
over a remote X Windows link.)  Another option would be to extract the
debugger into a leaner, standalone application, without dependencies
on Eclipse's project model and the other "heavyweight" parts of
Eclipse.  But since the debugger has always been part of CDT, I
suspect that the number of CDT/Platform dependencies would make that
impractical...

Jeff