Re: [ptp-dev] Merge policy reminder

Hence my original message reminding people that they need to merge their changes. The scenario outlined below is only the case if changes have not been merged.

Typically what happens (to me) is that I commit something to ptp_5_0, then go to merge with master. At that point I find that someone has committed something to ptp_5_0 but not merged. Git does not allow selective merging, so I can either merge everything or nothing.

The only options I see are:

1. Merge everything, and notify the list that there were some un-merged commits. This has the advantage of not interrupting workflow, but could result in merge problems. It's also problematic if there are conflicts in the un-merged commits.

2. Merge nothing, and notify the list that there were some un-merged commits. The owner of the commits would then need to merge these before the merge could proceed. This is problematic if the owner is in another timezone, or on vacation, or whatever, since the merge is blocked at this point.

What do people want to do in this situation?

Greg