Re: [ptp-dev] Replace with latest from HEAD

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 11:36 PM, Jeffrey Overbey <jeffreyoverbey@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I forgot to follow up on this...

 > Yes I also woudn't use Egit for rebasing yet. But then again
 > I wouldn't recommend to use rebase at all - unless you are
 > already somewhat of an Git expert (i.e. have read most of ProGit

In the environment setup instructions, developers are told to set
branch.autosetuprebase, branch.master.rebase, etc.  So, every PTP
developer (in theory) is rebasing every time they pull.  I understand
that gives a nicer history.  But, if EGit isn't up to the task and
developers aren't comfortable with the command line, I'm not sure that
we want to be recommending that.

So... should developers be setting those properties, or should we change
the instructions?

Yes it might be better to change the instructions. As long as one has only normal commit the rebase will be OK (even if conflicts occur). But if one has already a merge (e.g. merge from 5 into master) then the pull using rebase might not work correctly (on the console one should do git rebase -p: see http://notes.envato.com/developers/rebasing-merge-commits-in-git/)

Is this true? Did people got errors when try tried to pull with rebase after doing a merge?

On another topic, thanks for the Pro Git reference, Roland.  That's
exactly what I've been looking for.  Now if I can only find the time to
actually read it... :)
It saves a lot of time in the long run ... ;-)

Roland

Jeff