Re: [ptp-dev] COMPARE with latest from HEAD (and others)

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Beth Tibbitts <tibbitts@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a similar question in that i would like to be able to see the Team Synchronize view to "compare latest with head" e.g. for a whole project.

Greg asked this question in http://wiki.eclipse.org/PTP/environment_setup/git#Comparing
The answer was a lack of push/pull but my understanding is that these would result in no longer having my repo be different!
I don't want to check in the changes, or get the changes already on the remote server, I want to *see* the changes.
Like CVS used to be able to do with "compare with".

With Git all operations other than Push and Fetch (+ Pull because it includes Fetch) are local. Thus you cannot directly compare to a remote repository. You need to fetch the remote repository (which doesn't modify any local branches) and then you can compare to the remote tracking branches.

Roland

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts
Eclipse Parallel Tools Platform  http://eclipse.org/ptp
IBM STG - High Performance Computing Tools
Mailing Address:  IBM Corp., 745 West New Circle Road, Lexington, KY 40511

Inactive hide details for Jeffrey Overbey ---01/23/2012 11:54:01 AM---Hi (Roland, probably), When we used CVS, you could use "RJeffrey Overbey ---01/23/2012 11:54:01 AM---Hi (Roland, probably), When we used CVS, you could use "Replace With > Latest from HEAD" to

Jeffrey Overbey <jeffreyoverbey@xxxxxxx>

ptp-dev <ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,

01/23/2012 11:54 AM

[ptp-dev] Replace with latest from HEAD

    Sent by:

ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi (Roland, probably),

When we used CVS, you could use "Replace With > Latest from HEAD" to
completely reset a project to its state in HEAD -- it would overwrite
any local changes, delete any added files, add back any deleted files,
etc.

In EGit, there's a "Replace With > HEAD Revision," but it doesn't work
the same way (at all).  I want to reset both the index and the working
copy.

The best I could figure is to delete the project, then git checkout
that_project.

Something like "stash, then reset --hard, then stash apply" seems
ideal, but AFAIK these apply to your whole repository, not just one
tree.

Of course, I can't find an EGit equivalent for either of these.  (EGit
also failed miserably when a rebase had a conflict... so I'm learning
to use EGit only for "happy case" scenarios and fall back to the
command line when things go wrong...)

So... what's the "right" way to do this?  Can I stash and/or reset
--hard just part of the repo?  Should I feel guilty for abandoning
EGit?

Thanks.
Jeff

P.S. I look forward to the fact that all of my embarrassingly naive
git questions are being publicly archived for the rest of eternity.
Apologies, future self...